_Many, many people want to know what to do with pine needles. Since I first wrote about using pine needles in the garden a year ago, ("What to Do With Pine Needles", December 15, 2010), that article has been read by hundreds of people looking for help with the common problem of too many needles in autumn. This year I expand on the topic by offering more uses for pine needles, some that I do and others that I found through research.
Picture
Raking pine needles -- a yearly chore
_First, using pine needles as a mulch is the best way to use large quantities of the pesky things. I have about a dozen large Ponderosa Pine trees around the house and can use all of the needles as a weed-reducing covering on my garden paths. I dump the pine needles by the wheelbarrow load between my raised beds. It helps that I have a large garden and plenty of paths that need weed suppression. With normal gardening activities the pine needles are compressed and broken down by mid summer and I usually desire more. If you have more needles than garden paths, consider saving them in bags for additional summer mulch applications.

My strawberries are mulched exclusively with pine needles. They're the best mulch I've found for plants like strawberries that are perennial and benefit when their fruit rests above the soil. The stiff pine needles allow plenty of air and water to reach the soil and don't compact when left undisturbed. The strawberry runners are able to dive beneath the needles and root, creating new sister plants. Many other garden plants can benefit from pine needles or a combination mulch along with straw.
Picture
Strawberries and pine needles
_Another use for pine needles offers an indirect benefit for gardens. Beekeepers use smoke to control their bees as they inspect and manage their hives. Pine needles are virtually perfect as the fuel in metal smokers. Many beekeepers budget the cost of fuel, often burlap or cotton, into their beekeeping and would welcome the opportunity for free fuel. Contact your local beekeepers association or beekeepers you may know and offer them a bag of pine needles as smoker fuel.

Along the same lines, pine needles are great fire starters. For our outdoor fire pit it's easy to grab a few handfuls of pine needles from the nearest tree when I'm layering the kindling and wood; there's no need for newspaper. For indoor fireplaces, pine needles can play the same role. To avoid the mess of loose pine needles all over the hearth, using thread I bundle the needles into little wands to supplement kindling wood. For a rustic decoration the wands can be stacked along with cut wood near the fireplace. Pine needles will burn quickly so they're best when partnered with other basic fire starting components.
Picture
Easy pine needle fire starters
_If you plan to go to the trouble of tying pine needles into bundles, consider using them as sachets. Fresh pine needles have more pine fragrance but can be mixed with dried needles to make a decorative, fragrant, long-lasting home accessory. Hung in a closet, they'll quickly make it smell like a forest. Wrapped in a sachet bag, they can add fragrance to drawers, closets, and even automobiles; why buy a paper, fake tree to hang from your rear view mirror when you can have the real thing.

Expanding on the needles-in-a-bag concept, create outdoor pillows and mattresses. Using sturdy, weather-resistant fabric, sew large bags and stuff them with pine needles. Similar to straw mattresses commonly used for hundreds of years, these equivalents can work well on a patio or outdoor deck area. They will be slow to break down and should hold their shape and cushion for a long time. If the fabric material is plastic, thick, or used with an internal barrier, the pointy tips shouldn't protrude.

You can also make tea with pine needles, primarily fresh ones. I stumbled across this use on the internet but haven't tried it. Some holistic medicine practitioners say pine needles offer health benefits and are high in Vitamin C. Before you try it I'd recommend conducting your own research to confirm it's what you want. There are many sites out there with more information about pine needle tea.

Start a pine needle compost pile. Last year I raked many piles of needles and used most of them, but one pile remained in an out-of-the-way corner of my yard. I raked in fall and in early summer I finally got around to using the pile, to replenish the mulch on my garden paths. Imagine my surprise when I began lifting the pile into my wheelbarrow and discovered that the inside and base of the pile was fully decomposed into nice, black compost. The snow, rain, and mass of the pile had effectively composted it. If you have more needles than you can use, put them in an area that will receive plenty of moisture and let them decompose.

For the truly crafty people, make a pine needle doll. Raffia and straw are often used in bundles that are bent and wrapped to create the doll's head. Long pine needles that aren't too dry can be used the same way. Once the head is formed a simple cloth dress completes the doll.

While many people with pine needles would prefer they just disappear, with a little effort and ingenuity you can wile away a winter's day by using pine needles creatively. If you have another use for pine needles let me know. I'm looking forward to what next year's pine needle article can offer.

Comments

MamaMiller
11/05/2013 11:01

I use pinestraw to make a wide variety of basketry, from platters to jewelry boxes to bowl shapes to vases and cup cozies for my large travel coffee mugs…

priyanka
12/07/2013 07:42

hii i am a botany student and i am currently working on the utilization f pine needles so i am looking for some cost effective and easy uses of pine needles so that the villagers can employ the in there day to day life.If you can help me with such ideas regarding their use plz reply

mrrlkemp
12/27/2013 10:04

Make tea!

Jim
12/28/2013 21:44

I have many radiata pine trees and am hoping I can utilise the pine needles and pine cones and saw dust ... if you have any ideas that you are prepared to share I would greatly appreciate it.
thank you ... have a GREAT day ... Jim

12/07/2013 10:46

MamaMiller, those are great ideas. The needles from pines and firs have many uses if a little creativity is incorporated.

Tobbe
01/04/2014 14:28

Pine needles can pose a big fire danger if you are using them as mulch near your house. Especially if you live in dry climates such as Colorado. They are more flammable then regular wood chip mulch as they will create larger and more intense flames when lit.

03/03/2014 15:13

Tobbe, you're right. That's why I rake up all the needles near the house and try to find another use for them. My garden is a good distance from the house so using the needles as a mulch there is not a problem.

Barbara
03/01/2014 10:05

? I made a room out of apple tree branches and I was wondering if I could bunched pine needles together to make an enclosure.

03/03/2014 15:11

Barbara, go for it. While pine needles aren't as long or dense as thatch, people have been using dried grasses, leaves, and needles for thousands of years to make enclosures. If you have enough pine needles blend them with the apple tree branches and make a nice enclosure. :)

04/04/2014 09:02

04/08/2014 05:11

I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think.

04/11/2014 01:59

I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates

04/27/2014 00:34

I believe that you recognize how to construct people pay attention to what you have to pronounce, particularly with a concern that’s so vital. I am pleased to suggest this blog.

05/10/2014 02:43

Please advice more concrete idea to utilize the Pine Needles..
Please also give the detailed process to make Tea.Please.

05/16/2014 05:35

ery very insightful and interesting food for thought. Thank you

05/19/2014 16:48

call me I got bailes

Stom
05/23/2014 14:14

I thought pine needles were to acidic for composting. It does breakdown nice but is it fertile? Maybe as an additive if not too acidic.

05/26/2014 08:30

Stom, while pine needles are acidic they are a good carbon component for composting. The overall pH balances in the compost pile. By comparison, rain water is more acidic than pine needles, but you wouldn't try and restrict rain water in your garden. When pine needles or any organic compound decomposes and mixes in the soil it makes the entire environment healthier and more productive.

06/06/2014 02:00

The first time I came here, less than 10 seconds the display is perfectly open, and the loading is completed less than 20 seconds and to open the article only took about 7 seconds. So I think this is very fast! Incredible! Trying to maintain!

06/07/2014 20:13

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

06/14/2014 21:59

This is a great website, keep the positive reviews coming.

Marie
06/24/2014 08:13

Thank you for your help. I have raised beds for my vegetables. I put pine needles down between my beds. It is great for any vines that might go over the bed.

nice posts

07/06/2014 21:41

Outstanding blog post, I have marked your site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future.

07/14/2014 20:24

Hey that was great to read. Thanks for the great post .Loved every part of it.

Rajdeep
07/25/2014 03:06

Hi pl give some concrete idea so that villagers can get some employment and unnecessary burning of pine jungles can be stopped.