_Many, many people want to know what to do with pine needles. Since I first wrote about using pine needles in the garden a year ago, ("What to Do With Pine Needles", December 15, 2010), that article has been read by hundreds of people looking for help with the common problem of too many needles in autumn. This year I expand on the topic by offering more uses for pine needles, some that I do and others that I found through research.
Raking pine needles -- a yearly chore
_First, using pine needles as a mulch is the best way to use large quantities of the pesky things. I have about a dozen large Ponderosa Pine trees around the house and can use all of the needles as a weed-reducing covering on my garden paths. I dump the pine needles by the wheelbarrow load between my raised beds. It helps that I have a large garden and plenty of paths that need weed suppression. With normal gardening activities the pine needles are compressed and broken down by mid summer and I usually desire more. If you have more needles than garden paths, consider saving them in bags for additional summer mulch applications.

My strawberries are mulched exclusively with pine needles. They're the best mulch I've found for plants like strawberries that are perennial and benefit when their fruit rests above the soil. The stiff pine needles allow plenty of air and water to reach the soil and don't compact when left undisturbed. The strawberry runners are able to dive beneath the needles and root, creating new sister plants. Many other garden plants can benefit from pine needles or a combination mulch along with straw.
Strawberries and pine needles
_Another use for pine needles offers an indirect benefit for gardens. Beekeepers use smoke to control their bees as they inspect and manage their hives. Pine needles are virtually perfect as the fuel in metal smokers. Many beekeepers budget the cost of fuel, often burlap or cotton, into their beekeeping and would welcome the opportunity for free fuel. Contact your local beekeepers association or beekeepers you may know and offer them a bag of pine needles as smoker fuel.

Along the same lines, pine needles are great fire starters. For our outdoor fire pit it's easy to grab a few handfuls of pine needles from the nearest tree when I'm layering the kindling and wood; there's no need for newspaper. For indoor fireplaces, pine needles can play the same role. To avoid the mess of loose pine needles all over the hearth, using thread I bundle the needles into little wands to supplement kindling wood. For a rustic decoration the wands can be stacked along with cut wood near the fireplace. Pine needles will burn quickly so they're best when partnered with other basic fire starting components.
Easy pine needle fire starters
_If you plan to go to the trouble of tying pine needles into bundles, consider using them as sachets. Fresh pine needles have more pine fragrance but can be mixed with dried needles to make a decorative, fragrant, long-lasting home accessory. Hung in a closet, they'll quickly make it smell like a forest. Wrapped in a sachet bag, they can add fragrance to drawers, closets, and even automobiles; why buy a paper, fake tree to hang from your rear view mirror when you can have the real thing.

Expanding on the needles-in-a-bag concept, create outdoor pillows and mattresses. Using sturdy, weather-resistant fabric, sew large bags and stuff them with pine needles. Similar to straw mattresses commonly used for hundreds of years, these equivalents can work well on a patio or outdoor deck area. They will be slow to break down and should hold their shape and cushion for a long time. If the fabric material is plastic, thick, or used with an internal barrier, the pointy tips shouldn't protrude.

You can also make tea with pine needles, primarily fresh ones. I stumbled across this use on the internet but haven't tried it. Some holistic medicine practitioners say pine needles offer health benefits and are high in Vitamin C. Before you try it I'd recommend conducting your own research to confirm it's what you want. There are many sites out there with more information about pine needle tea.

Start a pine needle compost pile. Last year I raked many piles of needles and used most of them, but one pile remained in an out-of-the-way corner of my yard. I raked in fall and in early summer I finally got around to using the pile, to replenish the mulch on my garden paths. Imagine my surprise when I began lifting the pile into my wheelbarrow and discovered that the inside and base of the pile was fully decomposed into nice, black compost. The snow, rain, and mass of the pile had effectively composted it. If you have more needles than you can use, put them in an area that will receive plenty of moisture and let them decompose.

For the truly crafty people, make a pine needle doll. Raffia and straw are often used in bundles that are bent and wrapped to create the doll's head. Long pine needles that aren't too dry can be used the same way. Once the head is formed a simple cloth dress completes the doll.

While many people with pine needles would prefer they just disappear, with a little effort and ingenuity you can wile away a winter's day by using pine needles creatively. If you have another use for pine needles let me know. I'm looking forward to what next year's pine needle article can offer.

11/05/2013 11:01

I use pinestraw to make a wide variety of basketry, from platters to jewelry boxes to bowl shapes to vases and cup cozies for my large travel coffee mugs…

12/07/2013 07:42

hii i am a botany student and i am currently working on the utilization f pine needles so i am looking for some cost effective and easy uses of pine needles so that the villagers can employ the in there day to day life.If you can help me with such ideas regarding their use plz reply

12/27/2013 10:04

Make tea!

12/28/2013 21:44

I have many radiata pine trees and am hoping I can utilise the pine needles and pine cones and saw dust ... if you have any ideas that you are prepared to share I would greatly appreciate it.
thank you ... have a GREAT day ... Jim

12/07/2013 10:46

MamaMiller, those are great ideas. The needles from pines and firs have many uses if a little creativity is incorporated.

01/04/2014 14:28

Pine needles can pose a big fire danger if you are using them as mulch near your house. Especially if you live in dry climates such as Colorado. They are more flammable then regular wood chip mulch as they will create larger and more intense flames when lit.

03/03/2014 15:13

Tobbe, you're right. That's why I rake up all the needles near the house and try to find another use for them. My garden is a good distance from the house so using the needles as a mulch there is not a problem.

03/01/2014 10:05

? I made a room out of apple tree branches and I was wondering if I could bunched pine needles together to make an enclosure.

03/03/2014 15:11

Barbara, go for it. While pine needles aren't as long or dense as thatch, people have been using dried grasses, leaves, and needles for thousands of years to make enclosures. If you have enough pine needles blend them with the apple tree branches and make a nice enclosure. :)

05/19/2014 16:48

call me I got bailes

05/23/2014 14:14

I thought pine needles were to acidic for composting. It does breakdown nice but is it fertile? Maybe as an additive if not too acidic.

05/26/2014 08:30

Stom, while pine needles are acidic they are a good carbon component for composting. The overall pH balances in the compost pile. By comparison, rain water is more acidic than pine needles, but you wouldn't try and restrict rain water in your garden. When pine needles or any organic compound decomposes and mixes in the soil it makes the entire environment healthier and more productive.

06/24/2014 08:13

Thank you for your help. I have raised beds for my vegetables. I put pine needles down between my beds. It is great for any vines that might go over the bed.

Jimbo Fitcher
10/20/2014 08:20

Deer love to bed down in pine thickets. The years of pine needles accumulating on the ground offer a soft, insulating, warm place to sleep. Try it sometime on a sunny cool fall day. Good sleeping. Building on this concept, I made several large "pine pillows" by filling burlap feedsacks with pine needles. Greatest dog beds ever, and basically free. The dogs love them. Keeps them warm and dry and smelling better. Good for basement, barn, doghouse. Not so much for living room floor.

12/11/2014 15:10

Pine needles for inside fireplace, do they contribute to the build up of creasote in the chimny?

11/22/2015 04:46

Kath, cool burning temperatures and unseasoned wood are major contributors to creosote build up. If you use fresh pine needles that haven't adequately dried, you may add to creosote problems. Old, aged needles tend to burn hot and probably won't cause creosote issues.

05/17/2015 21:31

I had question about using pine needles as mulch for strawberries. Do the needles damage the strawberries in any way? do the needles poke the strawberries? Thank you.

05/18/2015 15:26

Charlotte, as long as the pine needles are laid horizontally they won't poke the strawberries at all. They're like any other mulch. If you just throw them around in clumps it is possible that the tips can poke the strawberries, but I've never had that problem.

06/27/2015 06:59

Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm planning to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

07/25/2015 02:04

Thank you to share your knowings about pine needles. I also have a lot of pine needles and frequently I don't know what to do with. I would want to use them for fire but it's not easy to handle and carry like it is. The ideal thing would ce to do briks with compressed needles. I have a machine to make bricks with papers that is very simple and works very well but it's not possible to mix the needles with the paper because the two materials doesn't stick together. Is there anybody who has an idea to keep a bunch of needles together in order to make a sort of brick or a pack easy to handle? I was thinking about a cheap glue but it has to be flamable when it's dry and preferably without bad smells when it burns.Greetings from Spain

William Cooper
08/29/2015 03:21

About a month ago, I did have a 15 acre Pine plantation in S W France but since the Foresters have been in and cut down all the trees, I am left with everything below 5cm thick on the floor and was wondering what to do with all this waste?
Suggestions please?

11/22/2015 04:49

If you have the equipment to collect it, I would recommend moving the organic material on the floor into large piles. It will decompose into compost that can be used in local gardens. It could be a potential money maker if you sell it or the beginning of a large farm if you till it into the soil.

09/18/2015 11:32

Pine needles are used in a variety of ways like décor, sticks, fertilizer, fireworks and are they catch fire like oil. They are collected and used in thousands of ways .They are available in large numbers in their seasons.

10/30/2015 23:34

Gardening is very beautiful hobby of large number of people in all over the world.This blog is also related to this topic and there are discussions about the uses of pine needles. Therefore, this blog is important for those who are related to this field.

11/01/2015 22:37

This is impressive and also great information.

11/09/2015 00:36

Finally! Useful post for me. Thanks!

11/20/2015 09:26

do you think it's ok to use pine straw instead of hay in a chicken coop or duck pen?

11/22/2015 04:41

Barry, that sounds like a good idea and might work, but I don't think I'd recommend it. If you use fresh pine straw the sharp tips could poke the delicate feet of the chickens and ducks and possibly cause some injury. Also, new pine straw is not very absorbent so the chicken waste would probably slide right through and collect on the floor of the coop. Slightly aged pine straw that was threshed might work a little better. If you have a lot of pine straw I suggest conducting an experiment by using some of it in a small area of the coop or pen and see what results you get.